Health News of Monday, 16 April 2018
Pregnant women and nursing moms have been inspired to subscribe to the Ghana Health Service (GHS) Mobile Phone for Health (Mp4H) textual content code programme so as to obtain genuine well timed health messages on their pregnancies and the way they will deal with their newborns.
The Programme Manager of the Family Health Division of the Ghana Health Service (GHS), Mr Emmanuel Ayire Adongo, gave the recommendation in an interview and said that the messages subscribers of the programme have been probably to obtain included how to put together for supply, when to go for antenatal, what they need to eat, hazard indicators in being pregnant and what to do once they see them.
Others are hazard indicators to look out for through the early new child interval, unique breastfeeding, complementary feeding, post-natal check-ups when to go for baby welfare clinics (in any other case often known as weighing) and the medicines their newborns have been probably to obtain at each stage of their lives.
What is Mp4H
The Mp4H is a private-public partnership between the GHS and Tech-Valley Gh, a know-how firm. It is designed to present genuine key and well timed child-care and maternal health-care messages throughout being pregnant, post-natal and childcare to pregnant women and nursing moms.
Subscribers would have to textual content ‘baby’ or ‘mother’ (relying on whether or not they’re nursing moms or pregnant women) to the shortcode 1880 to obtain the textual content messages. For pregnant women, as soon as they textual content to the shortcode, it’ll request for the gestational age and as soon as that’s offered, they might begin receiving weekly textual content messages concerning the being pregnant. Once they ship, the programme would routinely roll them on to the childcare one.
When nursing moms subscribe, it is going to additionally request for the age of the kid and as soon as that’s offered, they’ll obtain messages until the kid is 2 years.
“We know that the health worker-population ratio in the country is not adequate and we want to reach out to everybody by giving them reminders such as those mentioned above to enable them to care for themselves and their children and to alert them of any danger,” Mr Adongo defined.
He stated some nursing moms and pregnant women additionally tended to overlook the messages given to them on the clinic however subscribing to the textual content code would assist them to have all that that they had forgotten.
Mr Adongo stated the nation was at present experiencing excessive neonatal dying price and identified that ignorance was accountable for this.
“Ignorance is killing most of our children and these messages have been introduced to remind parents of how to take care of their children in order to reduce neonatal deaths in the country. The messages come with tips on how parents can take care of their children’s emotional and psychological needs,” he stated.
The (Mp4H) programme was began final yr and has thus far registered 10,000 subscribers.
Of the quantity, Mr Adongo stated, 60 % have been subscription by pregnant women for messages on their being pregnant whereas the remaining 40 % have been for youngster healthcare messages.
Interested individuals can subscribe to all cellular networks: MTN, Tigo, Airtel and Vodafone.