March eight is International Women’s Day (IWD), which is a worldwide day that acknowledges the social, financial, cultural and political achievements of women.
The first International Women’s Day was noticed in New York City in 1909 to arrange for equal pay and the correct to vote for women. In 1910, an International Women’s Conference proposed an annual occasion on March eight. The first occasion was attended by greater than one million individuals in Europe. In 1977, the United Nations invited nations to proclaim March eight because the U.N. Day for women’s rights and world peace. Today, individuals all through the world acknowledge this as a day of celebration and a dedication to motion for women’s rights.
Please be a part of us in celebrating International Women’s Day at a group potluck dinner and dialog from four:30-6:30 p.m. this Thursday, March eight, on the Church of the Good Shepherd, 64 University Terrace, Athens. Women, their allies and youngsters are invited. This occasion welcomes all races, cultures, religions and sexual identities.
Later in the night, the OHIO Women’s Center is internet hosting a musical efficiency, Tres Vidas, which celebrates the lives of three Latino women. The efficiency might be held at 7:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall in Glidden Hall (Music Building) at OU.
Our nation is in the midst of a difficult interval as we’re divided round issues of racism, violence and discrimination. Government coverage modifications in the areas of health care, housing and human rights, together with funding cuts to varied packages has weakened our social security internet, which locations our most weak populations in danger. The de-regulation of environmental, health and security insurance policies have jeopardized our health and well-being in addition to the health of our planet.
But we’re additionally witnessing women rising up for equality, social justice and human rights. The #metoo motion has meant women at the moment are calling out sexual assault and sexual harassment, which has resulted in perpetrators dealing with penalties for his or her actions. A document variety of women are operating for public workplace in native, state and nationwide races. Women are organizing and main actions to name consideration to necessary issues resembling lack of health care, issues of violence towards women and the LGBTQ group, racial violence, gun violence, and environmental contamination. Women are rising up!
The organizers of the Women’s March have introduced a platform of rules that strongly displays the present issues which help equality and helps human rights.
These spotlight a few of the rules, which may be discovered in their entirety at .
• We consider that women’s rights are human rights, and hman rights are women’s rights.
• Women have the fitting to stay full and wholesome lives, freed from all types of violence our our bodies. One in three women has been a sufferer of some type of bodily violence by an intimate associate inside her lifetime; and one in 5 women has been raped.
• We consider in equal pay for equal work and the fitting of all women to be paid equitably.
• We consider that civil rights are our birthright. Our constitutional authorities establishes a framework to offer rights and freedom, not prohibit them. To that finish, we should shield and restore all of the constitutionally mandated rights to our residents together with voting rights, freedom to worship with out worry of intimidation or harassment, freedom of speech, and safety for all residents no matter race, gender, age or incapacity.
• We consider that each individual, each group and indigenous peoples in our nation have the fitting to wash water, clear air, and entry to and delight of public lands. We consider that our surroundings and local weather have to be protected, and that our land and pure assets can’t be exploited for company achieve or greed, particularly on the danger of public security.
• Rooted in the promise of America’s name for huddled plenty craving to breathe free, we consider in immigrant and refugee rights no matter standing or nation of origin. It is our ethical obligation to maintain households collectively and empower all aspiring Americans to completely take part in and contribute to our financial system and society.
Please be a part of us on International Women’s Day to have fun achievements of women previous and current for his or her acts of braveness and willpower. We will be a part of in dialog with women in this group to advertise a protected and supportive group. We will work for a protected, inclusive, equal future for all.
Andrea Reik, who lives on Terrell Road in Athens, is an environmental and social-justice activist. She is retired because the longtime director of Athens County Children Services.